Whether you’re heading out on a vacation with your partner, or for a business trip, there’s a big chance that your diet might just take a dive. Between the fast food stops, huge meal servings and your ‘eat-whatever-I-want’ attitude, you’ll surely end up with some extra pounds after your trip. Luckily, there are some things that you can do to still enjoy your time on the road, without putting any longstanding consequences on your weight.
- Pack Smart. This simply means stocking up on travel-friendly, non-perishable and nutrient-dense grubs. Fill your Ziploc bags with snacks like nuts, beef jerky, peanut butter packets and dark chocolate chips. Not only will this keep you full throughout your trip, this will also ensure that you stick with your diet even if you’re far from home.
- Know Where You’re Travelling To. When you’re on the road or in a new city, avoid dropping by at any fast food joint that you see. Instead, use mobile applications like AroundME to locate nearby healthy restaurant chains that you can dine in.
- Bring Some Greens with You. Since you’re on vacation, you’re probably more focused on trying out some BBQ joint than getting your daily quota of fruit and vegetable servings. If this is the case, fitness experts suggest bringing some powdered greens along your trip. Purchase some freeze-dried fruits and vegetables in bulk or in packets, and mix them with your smoothies or oats for healthier meals and drinks.
- Take Essential Supplements. Travelling across time zones? Then we advise that you take some melatonin to reset your body clock faster, and get you better acclimated with your new location. Remember, getting enough sleep is the key to a successful weight loss plan.
- Practise the ‘One-and-Done’ Rule. Cheating on your diet is actually allowed even when you’re travelling, but remember that your breakfast, lunch and dinner meals don’t need to be gut-busting affairs. Just purchase one high-calorie item daily like an ice cream for your dessert, then enjoy it and move on once you’re done.
Although it may sound difficult, eating healthy is actually possible even when you’re travelling. Just follow the aforementioned tips, discipline yourself and you’ll surely be able to come back from your trip without bringing some extra kilos with you.