Kale: The New Superfood
You recently heard of the new superfood on the block that being kale. Truth is kale is kind of out-dated. There is a new surperfood on the block and you will be surprised to know that it is cactus. Yes, you read it right. Cactus is considered the new superfood and it is good for you and the people around you. Not all Singaporeans know the potential of cactus.
It is time to learn the health benefits of cactus. It is kind of unusual plucking cactus leaf. You see cactus as a part of the room or a decoration but not as a food. You have to change your perspective from now on. You have to know that many restaurants here in Singapore and around the world are serving cactus from leaves to stems and fruits. Cactus now is infused in sandwiches, smoothies and even salads.
So, what are the health benefits of the new superfood? Here are some of its benefits despite its pricks:
- Decreases blood sugar: You know too well that high blood sugar will eventually lead to diabetes. If you have diabetes, there is a possibility for other diseases to surface like heart disease and strokes. Cactus can help with this problem. According to the study conducted at University of Vienna, the cactus leaf showed potential in the reduction of blood sugar since it contains high fibre and pectin content.
- Reduces cholesterol: Cactus specifically nopal cactus or also called prickly pear cactus has been deemed to help reduce cholesterol. There was a French study conducted in 2007 that proved cactus leaf helped patients with metabolic syndrome. It can reduce “bad cholesterol” and increased “good cholesterol” thereby reducing cardiovascular problems.
- Facilitates weight loss: Thinking of weight loss is kind of difficult let alone doing it. The good news is that cactus can facilitate weight loss. Its extract can act as a diuretic. The extract has this antioxidant effect but did not deplete the minerals in the body.
- Lessen hangover: If you have plans for booze, it is time to consider the help of cactus to lessen hangover. Booze is fun but the aftermath becomes so messy that you will scorn drinking. Cactus contains vitamin A, C, E, carotenoids, calcium and iron that can reduce inflammation. The cactus can delay the effects of hangover.
- Fights cancer cells: Cactus leaf has this phenolics as well as flavonoids famous for their antioxidant property. It is believed that antioxidants can help shield healthy cells from damage caused by free radicals. Free radicals can lead to different diseases including cancer.
Now that you know the benefits of cacti, it is time that you look for one then start living and eating healthy.